Thursday 26 May 2011

Daunting?

In some ways, yes. It is not the prospect of an intense college workload that I find daunting, but the actual process of registering, choosing courses and making sure that I have my application finalised! Yesterday evening, I attended my orientation session, which was an introduction to how the nursing course functions at Dawson College; we learned a lot more about expected costs, the course content, and also had a bewildering array of options for the complementary courses thrown our way. It is the selection of these which is bringing to light a problem which has always bothered me, both within the religious sect and after leaving: that of making serious choices. I think that I’ll best make these choices if I’m well informed, so I’m canvassing other students to find out what the content is like for various subjects.

Nursing is by itself a full time course, so with my complementary courses including humanities, English, French and Physical Training, I’ll have a lot on my plate. That in itself doesn’t concern me, my biggest fear is that of selecting a demanding course, or ending up with a terrible schedule. In the days and weeks to come, I will be doing some serious planning, so as to be able to start with confidence on this major change in my life. I’ll have to get up to speed on my physical condition, as I’ll be in competitive sports with students almost half my age, fresh out of high school! My French will also need a fair bit of practise, although my placement test will determine at what level I may begin the courses.

Thankfully, student financing is in place so that I can buy my books and other materials, including stethoscope and uniform, but I’ll have to manage the money well in order to not drain our budget. With a summer of work ahead, this may be quite easy, and if possible I don’t want to touch the student loan- but with many things and expenses which we have deferred, I doubt I’ll reach the Christmas/ birthday period with much in hand. That depends, I’m very pleased with the ease with which I have been able to get into construction for Sylvie’s cousin, and the kitchen we have commenced with is nearing completion. Yesterday we fitted much of the trim and cleared away the tools, and it seems hard to believe that this trim, new room was the ripped out shell of a few days ago!

IMG-20110525-00324

I don’t want to leave my readers hanging , but I have to head out to work very soon, and with limited time to prepare lunch etc, this is a must! I will try to keep updating more often as interesting things happen, but whether I manage this is open to conjecture!

IMG-20110525-00327

No comments:

Post a Comment